Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

We had a special Easter Sunday today. There are only brown chicken eggs here and of course no dye, so I wasn't expecting much from our food coloring/brown eggs combination. But aren't they pretty? I actually prefer these colors to the typical Paz set from the supermarket. Of course I dumped at least a teaspoon of food coloring into each small glass so I wasn't messing around.

It took only about one minute for the darker colors to set and three minutes for the orange and green. I didn't boil the eggs because we were going to use a bunch of them for German Pancakes. So after they were dry, I blew out the insides and then we used the colored blown eggs later for the treasure hunt. David made little clues and we stuffed them inside the egg shells.



A blurry picture of the German pancakes:


I don't have a picture of our church meetings but they were special as well. I spent a long time preparing the lesson about Christ's resurrection in a way that they would be able to understand and that Ezra wouldn't get nervous. He kind of freaks out when we talk about death or Heaven. So I wanted to concentrate on the fact that we are happy, that we celebrate Easter because Jesus came back to life and He's still alive. I made a little Powerpoint presentation with the Primary cutouts and then traced a picture of the tomb, the stone, and Jesus. It was simple and no one freaked out and I think they understood it.

Before the main lesson we did a mini lesson about our bodies and spirits and used gloves to represent our bodies (hands = spirits). It worked and it was neat to see the recognition spread across their faces when we talked about the Savior's spirit and body and what it means to be resurrected.

Preparing stuff for Easter gave me a good opportunity to think about what the Savior has done for us and how incredible it is that we will all get our bodies back, in perfect form.

7 comments:

Snap said...

Happy Easter to you and yours! I miss my family right now, I've even lost Stray for the Easter period...oh well!

The coloured eggs brought back nice memories. Our family (Russian decent) paints them also and then we have an egg smashing competition. Last one with an intact egg, wins. Only thing is, when I was a child, we had to eat the hard boiled egg. Now days, the oldies let the little ones off and take the victims home for salads etc.

emily a. said...

Your eggs were beautiful! LOVE the colors.

jessica said...

Yum I love German Pancakes! I love these eggs, they turned out really nice!

Brindy said...

I prefere those colors too! looks great! Might have to try that next year.

A.Jean said...

Love the colors. Can't believe the extent of you endearvers, blowing out the eggs for later use. The boys look like they enjoyed every moment.

Peggy said...

Been a long time since I checked the family blogs. What a delightful surprise. Those eggs are GORGEOUS. Nice job Jade. Your Easter presentation sounds divine and so glad the boys didn't freak out...
Kisses to all of you.

Mike said...

(Chelsea, again)

Eggs = totally and completely gorgeous.