Friday, July 29, 2011

spelling list

I told Ezra to practice his spelling list words this week and he decided to take it a step further by writing them out on tiny pieces of paper. This was kind of a triumph for me because having him practice spelling has not been the easiest thing. There has been some tears. He doesn't particularly like rote memorization (who does?) and so I try to mix things up. But in the end, you just have to put in the time and effort and practice if you want to learn things. The other day, we were having this discussion and finally Ezra said, "Daddy says sometimes we have to do hard things." Yes, thank you Daddy for saying that and thank you Ezra for remembering it at such an appropriate moment. So then he decided to continue writing the words out and was so proud of himself at the end.

Anyway, this event (picture below) happened a few days later and it made me happy to see that he was making it fun all by himself.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh, he wrote those? He's a genius and Henry is a dunce. Look at that handwriting!

Jana K said...

Very cute! That's better handwriting than anyone in our family has - even Jake and me.

Peggy said...

Sheesh! Jade, the kid's 5! Talk about your Chinese dragon mom. Seriously, so fantastic. He's not losing any ground in Laos for sure. I'm stunned.

I hope he's taking good care of Sharon...(the caterpillar).