Saturday, June 04, 2011

I have a mistake in me

Tonight before bedtime this conversation occurred:

Ezra: (Guiltily) Mom, I have a mistake in me.
Me: What is it?
Ezra: In the mornings, I sneak treats.
Me: (Anxious to know exactly what treats so that I could find a better place to store them) Which treats do you sneak?
Ezra: Things like peanut butter, salt, sugar, sprinkles, lollipops, and those things in the freezer (which don't have an English name and we only got them for their b-day parties so he doesn't know what to call them - they are kind of like gelatin otter pops).

I assured him that we would find a better place for those things so he wouldn't be tempted. I found his list amusing though, because I knew about the occasional lollipop or yogurt, but the pb, salt, sugar and sprinkles were all new to me.

I also love the language kids use - "I have a mistake in me" is not the way most people would say it, maybe, "I made a mistake" or "I'm having trouble with something." But I like those words because somehow they give more insight into his personality and how he feels about the thing he's been doing.

7 comments:

emily a. said...

The poor boy must be surprised when he gets salt instead of sugar. What a cutie.

Rachel said...

Awww....I just read that to the cousins...we are all majorly cuted out!

Doug G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy said...

Commented under Doug for the millionth time. Oops. Anyway.

Sweet sweet boy with a conscience. Oh how I love him. A very appropriate phrase I will remember when confessing. (I too sneak salt, sugar, peanut butter, and things from the freezer).

A.Jean said...

This is priceless. As Art Linkletter knew years ago, "Kids say the darnest things." Most of the time the way they say it makes more sense than what we the elders have learned over the years. And Mom, don't move the goodies, lol.

Snap said...

Out of the mouth of babes...you've gotta love em'.

Jakob said...

I can't wait for you guys to come baaaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!