Monday, February 28, 2011

kids

When we first moved here we asked if there were any other kids in the neighborhood and it seemed like the answer was no. But over the past few weeks it seems they have come out of the woodwork (I think they were a little scared of us) and finally came to play in our yard on Saturday. Since that day, all Ezra has wanted to do from the time he wakes up, is play with the neighbor kids. This is really new for all of us - Ezra has really never been in very many social situations. If we were in the US right now, he would have already started preschool. But since preschool options are limited here and he can't speak Lao or Thai, we've just kept him and Eli at home.
Anyway, I was making bread today while Ezra and Eli played with the neighbor kids and it took all my strength to not intervene every 5 seconds. First of all, we haven't really talked about rules so there was a lot of craziness (really, I should have been out their the whole time, but the Lao kids were already timid and I didn't want to scare them away) and second, Eli and Ezra ALWAYS play with each other. Eli has never had to share Ezra with anyone and so I heard Eli saying, "Come here! Come see my rocket Ezra!" over and over with no response. He would try different things to get Ezra to pay attention to him, but Ezra was beside himself with joy to be able to kick a soccer ball with a boy his own size and I don't think he even heard Eli.
It only took about 30 seconds of this for me to rush out the door and pull Ezra aside for a little chat. Once I started to explain what was going on, and that Eli was calling his name and getting sad, I didn't even finish my sentence before Ezra ran over to Eli to make amends. I was so glad that Ezra understood. I always want my kids to stick up for the underdogs and pay attention to the younger, less cool kids and I don't know what it takes exactly to instill this in children, but I think it's really important. By the way, the neighbor kids are all really well behaved and sweet, and I am so thankful for that. The little 8 yr old girl took Eli under her wing and played with him, which he loved. Anyway, here are a few pictures.


This is the 8 yr. old who took care of Eli. She has a gorgeous smile, just like her mom. They live two doors down and she is the middle of 5 kids.



6 comments:

Peggy said...

What fun for Eli and Ezra to have some playmates. And what a darling bunch. That little girl with the million dollar smile is a prize!

Rachel said...

These are BEAUTIFUL photos, and I'm dying over the ones on Jadenoel as well!! Oh man.

Rachel said...

I just had time to read the post and well...that is awesome. That's JUST how you instill it Jade, to start telling them about it young. They have hearts, they care so much about other people, and when you tap into that and show them the way-they will listen to you.
Another Mom told me about a time when a little quiet, shy boy was sitting alone at huge cafeteria table. When along came Sam to tell him to come over and sit with him and his friends. *UG*
I just couldn't believe he listened to me, and then followed through without knowing anyone was watching! Listening, learning and applying what it takes to show others you love them all seems like such a miracle to me. You were the catalyst Jade, and Ezra didn't miss a beat. That's so touching.

Ember said...

Wow, that is so neat that you're living in another country. I'm horrible at keeping up on the news so it's a surprise to me! So great that you guys are doing that. We'd like to live in France but I dunno if we could pull it off. Anyway, so awesome. I'm jealous.

desertortoise said...

I hope my boys are just as sweet to each other. You are a wonderful mother and those neighborhood kids look like a lot of fun!

Chelsea said...

That is so sweet about Ezra. What a kind brother. I love his heart and wish he could be here to influence Henry. :) Eli is beyond precious too.